Submission Deadline: July 6, 2020
The Coach of the Year Awards were first awarded in 2010 to recognize the outstanding body of professional coaches within the sport of gymnastics in Ontario. The intent is to recognize excellence across all gymnastics disciplines – all Gymnastics Ontario coaches in good standing are eligible to be nominated in the appropriate category. A total of three awards will be presented each year – one in each of the categories indicated.
- Recreation / Grass Roots: Coaches who coach grass roots and recreation athletes of any age. The coaching environment at this level is primarily non-competitive, and there is emphasis on skill development, participation, and fun.
- Developmental / Competitive: Coaches at this level are responsible for athletes who are developing competitive skills, as well as preparing athletes for present and future competition.
- National / High Performance: Coaches are primarily working with athletes at the National and/or International level.
Recipients must be members in good standing of Gymnastics Ontario and have attained the appropriate level of NCCP and Risk Management based on the level of athlete they are coaching.
To be eligible for this award, coaches must have:
- Exemplified commitment, personal achievement, and positive image;
- Demonstrated commitment to safe and ethical coaching practices;
- Been a leader in the successful advancement of active healthy living opportunities for children and/or youth;
- Trained to become a better coach through education and training;
- Demonstrated their ability to improve the performance of the athletes they coach;
- Shared their expertise willingly in a variety of ways.
Nominations are to be submitted on the General Award Nomination Form. The nomination must be accompanied by a coaching profile, that includes discipline(s), NCCP number and number of years coaching.
Nominations to be submitted to:
Gymnastics Ontario Awards Committee
2950 Keele Street, Suite 202
North York, ON M3M 2H2
Nominations will be short-listed by the Awards Committee, and approved by the Board of Directors.
The recipient will be presented with a unique plaque at the G.O. Annual Awards Banquet. Recipients will receive two complimentary tickets to the Awards Banquet, and photos may be posted on the G.O. website
Recipients will be notified by Gymnastics Ontario a minimum of 30 days prior to the Awards Banquet in order to confirm attendance. Awards not presented at the Awards Banquet will be sent to the recipient by mail.
Coach of the Year Award Hall of Honour
2010 Recreation / Grass Roots – Alla Yahchybekova
2010 Developmental – Brett Tomlinson
2010 Provincial Competitive – Glen Cooper
2011 Recreation / Grass Roots – Bonnie Rudiak McPhee
2011 Developmental – Jessie Perry
2011 Provincial Competitive – Svetlana Joukova
2012 Recreation / Grass Roots – Mary Paul
2012 Developmental – Stefka Moutafchieva
2012 High Performance – David Ross
2013 Recreation/Grass Roots – Krista Dales
2013 Developmental Women’s Artistic – Becky Ansell
2013 Developmental Men’s Artistic – Lukas Gataveckas
2013 Development Rhythmic – Lyuda Kovtun
2013 High Performance – Iana Nadtotchii
2014 Development Women’s Artistic – Debbie Siemon
2014 Development Acrobatics – Don Holmes
2014 Development Rhythmic – Julia Assadoullaev
2014 High Performance – Mira Filipova
2015 Recreation/Grass Roots – Victoria Amaral
2015 Development Women’s Artistic – Craig Smith
2015 Development Acrobatics – Anastasiya Torosyants
2015 Development Trampoline – Dan Wardley
2015 High Performance – Chris Foo
2016 Recreation/Grass Roots – Alexandra Large
2016 Development Women’s Artistic – Sarah Moore
2016 Development Aerobics Gymnastics – Kasey Whalen
2016 High Performance – Tatjana Dolic
2017 Recreation/Grass Roots – Trampoline – Alison Carty
2017 Recreation/Grass Roots – KinderGym – Marta Kniaziew
2017 Recreation/Grass Roots – Men’s Artistic and Adult Gymnastics – Shannon Degroot
2017 Development Women’s Artistic – Andrea Mallia
2017 Development Tumbling – Tracy Davies
2017 High Performance – Natalia Kachaiev
2018 Recreation/Grass Roots – Linda Empringham
2018 Development Women’s Artistic – Kathy Hubbard
2018 High Performance Tumbling – Denis Vachon
2018 High Performance Women’s – Toni Norman
2018 High Performance Acrobatics – Scott Middleton and Greg Boosey
2019 Recreation/Grass Roots – Gym For All – Margarita Oyarce
2019 Recreation/Grass Roots – KinderGym and Adaptive Programs – Trevelle Edwards
2019 Development Aerobics – Amber Tait
2019 Development Rhythmic – Lidiya Yavorska
2019 Development Women’s – Kathy Hubbard
2019 High Performance Men’s – Zhaohui Huang
2019 High Performance Rhythmic – Valeriia Zaiets