There are MANY benefits of participating in gymnastics!
That’s why we believe “Sport Starts Here”
READ ON FOR 7 FEATURED BENEFITS…
GYMNASTICS BUILDS FRIENDSHIPS
Working together, cheering each other on, and having fun builds strong friendships!
GYM FRIENDS ARE THE BEST FRIENDS!
Interacting with friends is an essential part of a child’s social and emotional development. Friends help kids learn perseverance, leadership, empathy, social skills, and so much more!
GYMNASTICS IS FOR EVERYONE
INCLUSIVE and ADAPTABLE… regardless of age, shape, gender, ability, or background… Gymnastics is for everyBODY! And everyBODY is welcome to participate!
With 7 gymnastics disciplines offered across Ontario and programs that come in all shapes, sizes, and abilities, there is a gymnastics program for you and everyone you know!
Our gymnastics disciplines:
• Gymnastics for All (GFA) • Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (WAG) • Men’s Artistic Gymnastics (MAG) •
• Rhythmic Gymnastics & Aesthetic Group (RG & AGG) • Acrobatic Gymnastics (ACRO) •
• Trampoline Gymnastics (TG) – includes Tumbling • Aerobic Gymnastics (AERO) •
GYMNASTICS IS FUN
Learning new skills, playing on interesting equipment, making friends, and completing exciting routines… who could ask for anything more?
When kids have fun, they learn that fitness and learning new things is fun too!
No matter your age: jumping, running, swinging, and landing on soft mats will always make you smile!
GYMNASTICS IS A FOUNDATION SPORT
Recognized by the International Olympic Committee as a Foundation Sport, GYMNASTICS DEVELOPS PHYSICAL LITERACY, providing a strong foundation for all physical activity and sports!
Whether you continue with gymnastics participation long-term or transfer to another sport, the foundations learned in gymnastics will enable you to live a healthy, active lifestyle, and enjoy a variety of movement activities. GYMNASTICS IS FOR LIFE!
What is Physical Literacy?
Physical literacy enables people of all ages to move confidently and efficiently in any environment that presents a physical challenge. It is an important life skill, and the benefits of physical literacy go far beyond sport participation.
“Physical literacy is the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge, and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical activities for life”
-UNESCO Ratified Definition (2015)
GYMNASTICS BUILD CONFIDENCE
Children who are physically literate are more confident in their abilities and are more likely to engage in physical activity and be active for life!
Stepping outside of your comfort zone, learning skills, and safely exploring new physical challenges has a positive effect on emotional and physical confidence!
I CAN DO IT!
GYMNASTICS DEVELOPS THE WHOLE CHILD
There are SO MANY INDIVIDUAL BENEFITS to participating in gymnastics! In addition to the physical development that gymnastics is known for, children will also enhance their social, cognitive, and character development!
- PHYSICAL benefits: increased endurance, strength, power, flexibility, agility, balance, coordination, and spatial orientation.
- SOCIAL benefits: participants are required to listen, follow directions, take turns and be respectful to each other. Participants in gymnastics classes learn to perform in front of others without anxiety, motivate one another, and build trusting, respectful relationships with their coaches and teammates.
- COGNITIVE benefits: there is a strong correlation between physically fit children and academic achievement. Nerve cells multiply, promoting healthy brain function and strengthening brain connections.
- CHARACTER benefits: gymnastics lessons promote discipline, determination, courage and self-confidence, and children will benefit from learning from their mistakes.
GYMNASTICS IS DIVERSE
There are SO MANY WAYS TO PARTICIPATE in gymnastics… from babies to seniors, recreational classes to elite competition, and everything in between, Ontario clubs offer programs in 7 gymnastics disciplines for ALL AGES, ABILITIES, AND INTERESTS!
- Gymnastics for All (GFA)
- Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (WAG)
- Men’s Artistic Gymnastics (MAG)
- Rhythmic Gymnastics & Aesthetic Group (RG & AGG)
- Trampoline Gymnastics (TG)
- Acrobatic Gymnastics (ACRO)
- Aerobic Gymnastics (AERO)
Regardless of age, shape, gender, ability, or background… there is a gymnastics program for you and everyone you know!
Want more information?
More on Why Gymnastics?
Gymnastics Ontario For Parents