Question: How does the new Gymnastics Foundations Program work?
There are three parts to successfully complete the Foundations program:
1. Foundations Introduction course:
- 1 day course (9 hours)
- ALL Gym sports must have their coaches enroll in this course
- Covers philosophy of gymnastics, and common fundamental movement patterns
- A coach will only have to take this course once
3. Foundations Theory Course:
- Online course (5 hours)
- Includes Planning a Practice and Making Ethical Decisions
- A coach will only have to complete this course once
4. Foundations Sport Specific Course:
- 1 day course (9 hours)
- Discipline specific sport modules (Artistic, Rhythmic, Trampoline, Active Start)
- A coach may choose any sport specific module they wish and may choose to attend as many as they like, however they must complete at least one module to complete their training.
Question: If a coach has never taken an NCCP technical course before what courses must they take to become trained?
A coach who has never taken an NCCP technical course before must first create an NCCP number in the Locker: https://thelocker.coach.ca/
Coaches may then take their Foundations Introduction, Foundations Theory and 1 or more Foundations Sports Specific courses. Coaches may take all courses in one weekend if the schedule permits.
For more information, click here.
Question: How does a coach who has already completed the old NCCP Level 1 technical course now become certified?
A coach who has completed an old NCCP Level 1 technical course now has an option to complete their theory course by taking Foundations Theory. The coach must submit their Level 1 practical hours form to Gymnastics Ontario after they have completed 50 hours of practical coaching. The practical hours form for Level 1 is available by request: firstname.lastname@example.org
After submitting their practical hours form to GO and completing the Foundations Theory course, the coach will now be considered Level 1 certified.
Question: If a coach has already completed an old NCCP Level 1 technical course do they have to attend the whole Foundations program to take an additional sport specific module?
If a coach has already completed an old NCCP Level 1 technical course AND theory course they may jump in and take any sport specific Foundations module they wish without completing any of the previous courses.
Question: If a coach is 15 years old are they able to attend the Foundations program?
A coach who is 15 years of age may attend the Foundations program; however coaches may not participate in Level 2 or Competition Stream courses until the age of 16.
Question: What if the coach will be 15 years of age shortly after the Foundations course runs, are they able to attend?
Coaches must be a minimum of 15 on the day of the Foundations Introduction course.