Gymnastics Canada (GymCan) is the national sport governing body responsible for the governance, development, and promotion of Gymnastics in Canada. Gymnastics Canada works closely with twelve (12) Provincial and Territorial Federations (P/TSOs) and over 700 clubs to provide a broad range of programs and services to meet the needs of all participants. From athlete development to coach and judge education, Gymnastics Canada sets the operational standards and practices for the sport in Canada. Our mandate is to promote and provide positive and diverse gymnastics experience through the delivery of quality and safe gymnastics programing from playground to podium.
Working virtually and reporting to the CEO, the Safe Sport Director will provide leadership in the area of GymCan’s Safe Sport Framework and the promotion of a safe environment for all participants in the sport of gymnastics. This framework includes policies and procedures, education and resources, and advocacy with respect to screening, conduct, reporting, privacy, risk management, equity and inclusion, concussion awareness and protocols, anti-doping, and health and safety. The Safe Sport Director will work with all GymCan stakeholders, including staff, board, provincial/territorial organizations (PTOs), and clubs, as well as external partners to establish and maintain a coordinated national approach to Safe Sport and safeguarding in the sport of Gymnastics.
The Safe Sport Director is a member of GymCan’s program leadership and management team and is responsible for the daily management of the overall GymCan national and international Safe Sport strategy. The incumbent will work closely with all GymCan staff, P/TSO professional staff, volunteer committees, and external funding and programming agencies (national and international), all within the framework provided by the GymCan Strategic Plan and respective policies, procedures, and regulations.
Specific responsibilities include:
- The ongoing planning, implementation and management of GymCan’s Safe Sport and Safeguarding framework.
- Working closely with internal and external stakeholders and organisations dedicated to Safe Sport and Safeguarding.
- Within a prescribed annual budget, create and implement ongoing educational protocols that service the needs of all GymCan members.
- Work closely with Provincial/Territorial stakeholders in the alignment and delivery of a national Safe Sport and Safeguarding strategy.
- Manage GymCan’s Independent Complaint Management process and ensure that the policies and procedures for complaint management are compliant with legal, internal and external protocols.
- Oversee the administration of the organization’s privacy policies and procedures in relation to personal information collection, use, disclosure, security, retention, and destruction.
- Lead GymCan’s Equity and Inclusion programming.
- Act as an expert representative for GymCan on national and international committees or work groups dedicated to Safe Sport and Safeguarding in sport.
- As a senior manager in the organization, contribute to the daily professional work environment in the GymCan virtual office.
Qualified candidates should have a combination of proven expertise and experience as follows:
- A professional degree or accreditation related to Safe Sport and/or safeguarding (child advocacy and protection), or equivalent experience that highlights significant leadership and impact in this area within a volunteer led not for profit environment.
- A background in teaching or strong experience in education leadership roles is an asset
- Experience in grant and report writing, including strong written and presentation skills, is an asset
- An understanding of the Canadian sport system and funding models is an asset
- Excellent leadership, organizational, financial management, administrative and interpersonal skills, including very strong written and communication
- Experience working in a virtual team environment is an asset.
- Bilingualism is a significant
This is a full-time position that can be managed virtually in Canada – please note that Gymnastics Canada works on Eastern Standard Time (EST) for its workday. This position requires some domestic and international travel (3-5 times per year for an average of 4-6 days per trip).
The salary range for the Safe Sport Director position is $78,000 – $93,000 per annum, commensurate with experience. Gymnastics Canada also offers an attractive employee benefit package.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their applications and resume in confidence by end of day Friday, October 21st, 2022 to:
Mary DeGrasse, Executive Assistant
We thank all the applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.