Kicking Horse Gymnastics Club (KHGC) is looking for a new head coach. The position is full time with responsibility to the overall programming of the Club. We are an artistic gymnastics club with possibilities in trampoline and tumbling, freestyle ski air training and beyond. We have been in operation since 2002, and since 2008 have been running regular Fall, Winter and Spring Sessions for Preschool, Recreational and Competitive participants as well as Summer Camps and other clinics. Competitive Programming has included the WAG Junior Olympic Program, Interclub, Performance Plus and High School Levels, and MAG BC and Alberta Provincial Levels. There are currently more than 250 members at KHGC registered with Gymnastics BC (GBC).
The Gymnastics Club is located in a small facility and has MAG and WAG competition equipment, an Olympic Trampoline as well as many useful training tools including an air tumble track, bungee mats, air barrel, hot spot, spotting blocks, bounce board and bounce skis.
Starting at an annual salary of $52,000 and negotiated on a scale based on coaching related certifications and related years of experience.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated and fun individual who is able to continue to develop the club. This person would coordinate the session schedules, competitions and weekly and seasonal lesson plans and skill development. They would coordinate with other coaches to facilitate all the programming and continue in the development of Coaches-In-Training. They would work with the Administrator of the Club to create class training days and times, create attendance sheets and send informative emails out to the club membership.
The Head Coach would be expected to contribute to the coaching in each programming area:
BC Gymnastics programming such as Active Start Preschool and Gymnastics Foundations Recreational Gymnastics with a focus on safety and fundamental movement skills in a fun and energetic environment. They would have the capacity to learn and teach and develop WAG Junior Olympic Levels and MAG Provincial BC and Alberta Levels. They would attend and coach at competitions as needed, take an active part in continuing education and contribute to the well-being of the club. The Head Coach will report directly to the KHGC Board of Directors.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Set up and take down the gymnastics equipment as necessary for each program
- Greet and treat parents and gymnasts in a friendly and compassionate manner
- Support coaches with teaching skills and progressions for beginners through competitive level participants
- Create a safe, fun and engaging environment for participants with encouragement, constructive criticism and smiles
- Utilize suggestions, constructive criticism and feedback to improve teaching skills
- Assist with routines that meet the appropriate codes and guidelines
- Assist with organizing any special events
- Help in the administration for registering gymnasts with GBC and for competitions
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and special events as assigned
- Participate in recommended training programs and take an active role in continuing education (this would include judging clinics and furthering NCCP Coaching Certifications)
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties
- Minimum school education: High School diploma
- Must have current certification in:
- NCCP Gymnastics Foundations and Comp 1 WAG and/or MAG (or former Level 1 & 2) (Gymnastics Canada)
- NCCP Trampoline Level 1 and Level 2 (Gymnastics Canada)
- NCCP Active Start: Preschool Certification (Gymnastics Canada)
- NCCP Making Ethical Decisions
- Commit-to-Kids Coaching Online Certification (Canadian Centre for Child Protection)
- Standard First Aid / CPR
- Respect in Sport (Red Cross)
- Criminal Record Check
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and office management software, and ability to type a minimum of 30 WPM and understand the use of Google Docs
- Have a proper understanding of current coaching practices and Health and Safety and reporting responsibilities to GBC
- Demonstrable experience working with and enjoying people of all ages and abilities
- Experience in dance choreography for competition and public performance
- The ability to take direction and work well with others
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Be a confident, well-motivated and presentable person who knows (or will quickly learn) how to behave as a member of the gymnastics support staff and set an appropriate example to participants of all ages
- Approachable with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
- Flexible with a ‘can-do’ approach and able to work effectively and use initiative without constant supervision
- A proactive approach to work, and meeting targets
- The ability to maintain in strictest confidence any information received concerning club matters
- Ability to see and hear clearly 30 yards away.
- Ability to provide sustained and uninterrupted attention to students during class time in the gym
- Ability to stand, kneel, stoop, crouch, and climb onto a spotting block to assist a gymnast.
- Ability to spot a gymnast, including the strength to lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Ability to move equipment including the strength to push or pull 75 pounds.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org