Anyone interested in becoming a MAG Judge can start the certification process at the age of 14 years old by attending the annual judge’s course. For the next MAG judging course please visit the Men’s Artistic Gymnastics Calendar.
Once Certified as a MAG judge, in order to maintain his/her certification level and to be considered active, every judge must fulfill the requirements as outlined in Section G: Judging Policies and Guidelines, and summarized on the Ontario Judges Pathway document.
Judges play a critical role in establishing the environment at all competitions. This environment should be safe, fair, positive, relaxed and friendly. The following guidelines assist the establishment and maintenance of the appropriate atmosphere. Judges are expected to:
- Respect the needs of each club, coach, gymnast, and other judges.
- Arrive at the judges’ meetings on time in their judging uniform.
- Understand the rules and regulations governing competitions.
- Be prepared for each specific judging assignment.
- Be certain that both coaches and gymnasts are present before the warm-up begins.
- Greet gymnasts on arrival at each event. All panel members are to stand to greet the gymnasts for their first event and then the D1 is to stand to greet the gymnasts for all other rotations.
- Acknowledge gymnasts with eye contact at the beginning and end of each routine.
- Work quickly and accurately to produce a score, and to be prepared to justify that score with reference to current documentation.
- Be a cooperative member of the judging panel.
- Be unbiased, fair and impartial in scoring.