OUR COMMITMENT TO SAFE SPORT
Gymnastics Ontario embraces our responsibility to create, foster, and preserve sport
settings that ensure positive, healthy, and fulfilling experiences for all individuals. We
believe that a Safe Sport environment prioritizes the welfare, safety, and rights of every
To cultivate this environment, Gymnastics Ontario has developed Safe Sport Policies,
which serves as an overarching guide for our vision of and commitment to Safe Sport
and the corresponding policy, education, and advocacy initiatives that strive to further
strengthen the administration and delivery of our programs, events, and services. With
these policies, Gymnastics Ontario will collaborate with our Member Clubs to ensure a
respectful and welcoming environment where all participants may find joy.
DEFINING SAFE SPORT
Safe Sport refers to the process and measures implemented to protect and effectively
care for the health, well-being, and human rights of all participants in the Gymnastics
Ontario community, especially children and youth. Individuals participating in all
disciplines of gymnastics in Ontario, including athletes, coaches, officials, sport
administrators, volunteers and others should be able to engage in a sport environment
free from abuse, maltreatment, discrimination and potential harm.
OUR SAFE SPORT COMMITMENTS
Creating and fostering a Safe Sport environment and culture is paramount in the
administration and delivery of all gymnastics programs in Ontario. As a result, it is
expected that all participants of Gymnastics Ontario will:
- Prioritize the current and future well-being of each participant above all else.
- Act in the best interests of all participants involved in our programs and activities.
- Respect, value, and champion the rights of all individuals in the gymnastics
- Engage in behaviours and practices that are ethical, developmentally
appropriate, and support the physical, psychological, social, and emotional
welfare of participants.
- Actively encourage meaningful inclusion of individuals irrespective of their age,
race, colour, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, language, religion,
national or social origin, property, birth, physical or developmental abilities,
athletic ability, or other status. *
- Strive to create joyful, positive, and growth-enhancing sport experiences.
- Advocate for Safe Sport environments on local, provincial, national, and
*If there are any groups omitted from this list, please advise Gymnastics Ontario and
the list will be amended if appropriate.